http://www.spechtinsurance.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/1287789166538.jpg 364 281 elementalone http://www.spechtinsurance.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/specht1-300x137.png elementalone2014-12-03 08:28:372014-12-03 08:38:2515 Steps to Be Prepared for a Natural Disaster
Article from: http://www.thehartford.com
Natural disasters don’t happen every day but, when they hit, the repercussions can be severe. Planning ahead, when possible, can make a difference, and the planning process doesn’t have to be difficult. It does take time – which most of us would prefer to spend on more pleasant activities. But the payoff in terms of life safety, reduced stress and a smoother recovery is well worth sacrificing a little free time.
Follow The ABCs of Disaster Planning below to create your plan
Action: Take It!
- Know which disasters you are at risk for and how best to prepare for them.
- Plan for the possibility that you may have to evacuate your home.
- Set up your support network.
- Evaluate the risks, abilities and needs of everyone in your household and adjust your plan accordingly.
- Make a plan for your pets.
Belongings: Know Them!
- Create a home inventory. Start by going room to room with a video or still camera to make a visual record of your belongings.
- Prepare a written list to accompany your visual record.
- Keep receipts for valuable items and write on your inventory list their make, model, serial number, date of purchase, and other relevant information.
- Store a copy of whatever documentation you create away from your home.
- Update the inventory periodically.
Connections: Make Them!
- Have family conversations about disasters and how you will support each other.
- Broaden your support network to include neighbors.
- Be specific with others in your network about the tasks that need to be done and who will do them.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for help if needed, and reach out to others to offer your help.
- Adjust your support network after a major life event, such as a divorce or moving.
For more details on the ABC’s of disaster planning, download (or order) your free copy of It Could Happen to Me: Family Conversations About Disaster Planning.